North Road Station Museum
The £35 million scheme at Hopetown Darlington includes a £3.6 million investment into the interpretation of Darlington’s internationally-significant railway heritage which will place North Road Station Museum, formerly the former Head of Steam Darlington Railway Museum, at the heart of Hopetown Darlington.
North Road Station Museum will offer a rich visitor experience which will immerse you in the story of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and Darlington’s place within it through traditional displays and new interactive experiences. Visitors will learn about where they are standing – the station itself – through its beautifully preserved original space, enticing visuals, and accounts drawn from the collections. This major new permanent exhibition will transport you back to 1825 and Locomotion No 1’s first steam-hauled passenger railway journey. Explore innovation, power, personal stories and global links – and glimpse the future of rail.
So, what's in store at the Museum?
- A Blast from the Past: Witness Locomotion No. 1 as you've NEVER seen it before! Recreated with meticulous detail, taking you back to the first day it graced the tracks.
- Community-Led Rail Inspired Sculptures: Marvel at the stunning artwork drawing inspiration from the heartbeat of our community - the railways! Co-curated with local primary schools Corporation Road Community Primary School, Reid Street Primary School and Northwood Primary School.
- Holographic Steam Engines: Prepare to be awestruck by full-size 3D effect steam engines, originating from Darlington's own past. A visual spectacle like no other!
- Time Travelling Adventure: Embark on an exciting, immersive global journey, all while stepping through the pages of Darlington’s rich railway history.
- Interactive Museum Displays: Get hands-on and interactive with our new museum displays. It's history you can touch, feel, and experience!
- Living History Actors: Meet the characters who made our rail heritage what it is today, brought to life by talented actors.